- Compost Program
The Service Department will begin to pick-up compost the week of April 3. Compost will be available for delivery to residents on a first come first serve basis beginning in May.
The City of Brooklyn Service Department maintains a class IV compost facility at its Service Garage located at 9400 Memphis Avenue. During the year the Service Department collected over 2,000 tons of yard waste material which incudes leaves picked up during the fall, chipped trees, branches and the weekly yard waste that is picked up curbside beginning in April and ending November 30. The Service Department had a contractor grind the material and put in windrows at the compost site. The windrows are turned and the temperatures are monitored.
The material will be ready in May for the residents to use as compost or to use as soil in their gardens and landscape beds. The Service Department will deliver one load of compost which is approximately 2.5 yards.
Residents must call the Service Department to arrange delivery. Once delivered, the compost must be dispersed within 21 days. Second loads will be delivered after all first load requests have been made.
Guidelines for Compost Delivery
• Call the Service Garage at 216-635-4232 to arrange for a drop off. You must provide your name, address and phone number. Please provide a number that you can be reached at during the day.
• The Service Department will notify the resident by phone of the delivery date. If you are not home, a message will be left on your voice mail. If a message is left, the homeowner is required to call back to confirm and receive the delivery. If the Service Department does not receive a call back, the mulch will not be delivered.
• Mulch will be delivered Monday-Friday between 7:00 AM and 3:00 PM.
• Delivery location must be in the driveway on a hard surface.
• Rental homes must have the approval of the homeowner to have compost delivered.
• A compost pile for self-pick up by residents is available at the Service Garage between Monday- Friday, hours 7:00 AM-3:00 PM. The Service Department will not load private vehicles. You must bring your own container and shovel. Residents that stop by for self-pick up must stop by the office to show proof of residency.
• Please fill out our Compost Waiver. The waiver must be filled out before the mulch can be delivered or someone must be available to sign at the point of delivery. The resident must specify the location of the drop off. We will not deliver to back yards.
• By signing the waiver, you give permission for the City of Brooklyn and its officers, agents and employees to enter onto your property in order to deliver mulch.
• Release, indemnify, and hold harmless the City of Brooklyn and its officers, agents and employees from all claims, demands, actions, and causes of action of every nature, including those relating to negligent acts, including, but not limited to, all losses or expenses that may arise and relate in any way to the actions of the city, its officers, agents and employees pursuant to their provisions of such services.
• Agree to spread the mulch that is delivered within 21 days of its delivery.
• Understand that such services involve the risk of damage to the property and expressly accept the rick of any and all such damage.
Composting Program Information
Brown Paper Bags
At this time, the Service Department will still be accepting compost materials in brown paper bags. We are encouraging residents to start phasing them out because most compost facilities will not be accepting them in the near future.
Once the facility starts to enforce this policy, we will no longer be able to accept compost materials in brown paper bags. We strongly encourage compost materials to be placed in a garbage can so the service is not interrupted.
Yard Waste Rules
- Residents are required to place their yard waste on their tree lawn opposite their regular rubbish on their normal collection day. Yard waste consists of grass clippings, bushes, leaves and branches.
- Residents will be required to place their grass clippings in open containers or biodegradable bags. Do not put loose grass clippings on the tree lawn. They must be contained or bagged.
- Yard waste cannot be mixed with the regular rubbish.
- The weight limit on the cans of grass will be 50 pounds.
- If it is raining on your collection day, please place a lid on your can to help keep the weight to a minimum.
- We will not accept any yard waste that is placed in a plastic garbage bag. Plastic bags filled with yard waste will be left on the tree lawn.
- Branches can be put out with the grass clippings on your collection day. Branches must be cut into 4 foot lengths, bundled and limited to 1 foot in diameter.
- Yard waste will be picked up between the months of April to December. The yard waste will be processed and made into compost. Residents will be able to pick up the finished product beginning in May.