The City of Brooklyn is excited to announce that it will begin to deliver compost to its residents on a first come first serve basis beginning in May 2021.
The City of Brooklyn Service Department maintains a class IV compost facility at its Service Garage located at 9400 Memphis Avenue. During the year the Service Department collected over 2,000 tons of yard waste material which incudes leaves picked up during the fall, chipped trees, branches and the weekly yard waste that is picked up curbside beginning in April and ending in November. The Service Department had a contractor grind the material and put in windrows at the compost site. The windrows are turned and the temperatures are monitored.
The material will be ready May 11 for the residents to use as compost or to use as soil in their gardens and landscape beds. The Service Department will deliver one load of compost which is approximately 2.5 yards.
Residents must call the Service Department to arrange delivery. Once delivered, the compost must be dispersed within 21 days. Second loads will be delivered after all first load requests have been made.
Composting Program Information
Brown Paper Bags
At this time, the Service Department will still be accepting compost materials in brown paper bags. We are encouraging residents to start phasing them out because most compost facilities will not be accepting them in the near future.
Once the facility starts to enforce this policy, we will no longer be able to accept compost materials in brown paper bags. We strongly encourage compost materials to be placed in a garbage can so the service is not interrupted.
Yard Waste Rules
- Residents are required to place their yard waste on their tree lawn opposite their regular rubbish on their normal collection day. Yard waste consists of grass clippings, bushes, leaves and branches.
- Residents will be required to place their grass clippings in open containers or biodegradable bags. Do not put loose grass clippings on the tree lawn. They must be contained or bagged.
- Yard waste cannot be mixed with the regular rubbish.
- The weight limit on the cans of grass will be 50 pounds.
- If it is raining on your collection day, please place a lid on your can to help keep the weight to a minimum.
- We will not accept any yard waste that is placed in a plastic garbage bag. Plastic bags filled with yard waste will be left on the tree lawn.
- Branches can be put out with the grass clippings on your collection day. Branches must be cut into 4 foot lengths, bundled and limited to 1 foot in diameter.
- Yard waste will be picked up between the months of April to December. The yard waste will be processed and made into compost. Residents will be able to pick up the finished product beginning in May.