Street Walk Program
The City of Brooklyn is committed to maintaining a vibrant housing stock and strong property values. Lack of property maintenance is the biggest reason for low property values in any city.
The City has taken a proactive approach in enforcing the Property Maintenance Code and aiding residents who wish to keep their homes in good repair. This program consists of a systematic, sweeping “street walk” of all properties. This is to ensure the exterior of all industrial, commercial and residential properties are well maintained.
The following are examples of some of the conditions that must be maintained on the Exterior Property Areas of your home:
• Address numbers placed in a position to be plainly legible minimum of 4 inches (102 mm) in height
• All sidewalks, walkways, stairs, driveways, parking spaces and similar areas shall be kept in a proper state of repair, and maintained free from hazardous conditions.
• Roofs must be water tight and free from holes and defects.
• The premise shall be graded and gutters and downspouts maintained to protect the foundation walls from accumulating water.
• Exterior walls and foundation walls must be maintained in good condition.
• All exterior doors, door assemblies and hardware shall be maintained watertight, in good condition and be secured from unauthorized entry.
• All stairways, decks, porches, balconies, handrails and deck railings must be structurally sound, maintained in good repair, and be properly anchored.
• All accessory structures, fences, gates, and gate assemblies shall be maintained structurally sound and in good repair.
• Peeling, chipping, or flaking paint and siding shall be eliminated and repainted/replaced.
• Broken or cracked windows shall be repaired or replaced.
2022 areas of focus will include: Brookway Lane; Westbrook Drive; Boxwood Circle; Trail Run; Ivy wood; Spring crest; Dawn cliff; Rabbit Run; Apple Creek; Brook Hill and Pepper Ridge Drive followed by Tiedeman, Manoa and all streets south of I-480.
2023 areas of focus will include: Ridge; Orchard Grove; Meadowbrook; West; Parkside; Dellbank; Brookside; Plainfield; Woodhaven; Southfield; S. Parkside; Tauton; Hammond; Wefel; Outlook; Rockland; Newberry; Glencoe; Traymore; Ira; Vandalia; Archmere; Northcliff; Delora; Biddulph east of Ridge.